Sunday, July 5, 2009

Go it Granite, go it Granite - Yours 'til we die

On Friday we had the fun pleasure of visiting Anna's old high school before it closed (after 103 years the school district decided that this was the last school year). I don't know who was more excited to go visit it, me or Anna (actually it was me, Anna didn't really want to go but I insisted we go as I have never been in an America high school before and I'll tell you what it didn't disappoint, I felt like a singing, dancing Zac Efron was going to appear at any second! - anyway....). So we headed over there with a bunch of Anna's family (all of her siblings - except Alison -, both her parents, all of her Aunts and Uncles, and one of her Grandma's went to the school at one point of another - that's a lot of people!) and had a quick stroll down, a poorly air conditioned, memory lane. They had most of the school open and had some memorabilia set up (which Anna found herself amongst). My personal highlight though was singing the 'song of the G' - the Granite High School song, us and a bunch of old people stood in the gym and sang (well I watched as I didn't know it - do now!), and we even ended up appearing, very briefly, on the news doing so. It was a great, Anna ran into some old classmates, Poppy got to hang out in the Baby Bjorn and I got to feel like an extra in Grease - all in all fun times (Anna even bought a 'Forever Farmer' T-Shirt, the school mascot was the Mighty Granite Farmer). Some interesting facts about the school:
  • The first LDS Seminary opened at the school in 1912
  • Alumni include James E. Faust and Neal A. Maxwell
  • Anna VanDenBerghe crashed a motorcycle into the school fence, the resulting dent is still there to this day
GOOOOOOOO Farmers!!!!!!!!!!!!!


The Song of the G
When sight and sound of the campus
Fade in the long, busy years
Yet will return in our memories
Echoes of old songs and cheers.
You, of the field, track and diamond,
Fighters for clean victory,
You who love the fair, square sport,
You'll hear the song of the "G".
Go it Granite, go it Granite
Hear the battle cry;
Go it Granite, go it Granite
Yours 'til we die.
She will remember, you'll not forget her 
Though you are far away

She is calling, calling to you ever

Honor the grand old "G"!


As you can imagine Anna was thrilled when I proposed this idea for a photo!


A music award which Anna was presented with at some point or another.


Anna with her picture of her Madrigals group.


Anna at her old locker.


The Granite seal.

The illustrious Alumni.


The 'granite' in Granite High.

4 comments:

Dar, Ali, Edi, and Lukey said...

This is kind of sad because Granite actually used to be a good school...and it turned into ghettoville. That's why I'm proud to be a Miner! PC represent! Just kidding...fun pictures, though.

Joy said...

Those were the days. Good ole Granite. And I'm amazed that Anna remembers where her locker was ;)

Anna said...

Actually, that is where I thought my locker was senior year, but let's be honest, I could have been way off! And I can't even remember where my locker was sophomore or junior year, which is pretty pathetic. We're getting old! But not as old as all the other grandmas and grandpas that were at that open house!

Tracy said...

Correction- both of our grandma's went to Granite! But I don't expect Paul to remember that :) It was fun- I found out later that tons of people went that night, since they thought that it opened at 6. It would have been fun to see more old friends, BUT, probably too crowded and hot!