Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Her name is Poppy


Now I am fully aware that Poppy is not the most common name in this here country (although there is that actress Poppy Montgomery), however I am still surprised that many people have never heard of the name before, it seems that we consistently have to say "Poppy - like the flower" to people who have that slight bemused look on their faces when we first say the name. Luckily is is only a few people that act like we have named our daughter this bizarre made up name, most people tell us how much they like the name. Anyway I just wanted to share a little story, and also have an excuse to post some new pictures or Popsicle.
So we were in Target (surprise, surprise) the other day - one of Poppy's two outings, so far - and this very nice lady comes up and starts asking about Poppy. She is saying things like, "she's so cute, how old is she?" etc, etc. She then asks the inevitable, "what's her name?", to which I reply "Poppy". Her face then changes to the bemused look I mentioned above, so I then offer further clarification by saying "like the flower". To which the lady responds "Puppy?", so I say "no - Poppy", this back and forth Puppy/Poppy exchange continues, until I give up and walk away, as I do I overhear this lady telling another shoppe, "they named their baby Puppy, now that's a name!" I do have to point out that this lady had two hearing aids and I, obviously, have a small accent - so I'll put it down to that. All in all it was most funny and now I am sure that this lady will participate in the 'crazy Utah baby names' conversations by adding, "well I met this couple who named their baby Puppy!". So if you ever hear about a couple naming their baby Puppy, it was us and we in fact named her Poppy! Anywho her she is in all her cute glory.






11 comments:

Aubrey said...

What a funny conversation! I can't believe you got three weeks off! And in the middle of tax season, too? That's great that you were all able to be together that long. Puppy, er...Poppy is a doll. What cute pictures!

Callisto said...

How funny is that! I love that story. Those are some cute pictures. She's a gorgeous baby! And I love her name, by the way.

Taryn and the boys said...

That is so funny!!!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Oh my goodness, that is the funniest story ever!!! She is so adorable!!! I love her name and her cute little face!!!

Jilly Bean said...

Your puppy, I mean Poppy, is so adorable. She's a doll. Snuggle her and kiss her nonstop...these kids grow way too quickly.

Buzzy said...

Hi Anna and Paul, Congratulations on the arrival of Poppy! Hope you love being parents. By the way, can you email me your address? Karina and I are trying to send you a gift but don't have a valid mailing address. Thanks!

Buzzy
buzaggie@yahoo.com

Dar, Ali, Edi, and Lukey said...

Oh, she looks so different already and in only a week and a half! I've wanted to come see her, but don't really want to get her sick (this is the worst cold/cough virus I have ever had!)Hope all is going well!

Peyton and Jayce said...

She is darling Anna! I am being a blog stalker- sorry about that- BUT I am glad to have found you!
Visit us at www.fowlksfunfamily.blogspot.com

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

Hey, just so you guys know, we changed our blog address...
http://alittlebitofkooky.blogspot.com/

Tracy said...

I love that picture in the carrier! I'm going to have to print that off!

Maryanne said...

Okay, I must stop reading your blog now! First the baby do's and don'ts and now "Puppy?". I can't even see the computer screen anymore through my tears! That is the BEST story EVER!!!