Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Notes from an insomniac

I'm really frustrated lately because I tend to only sleep a couple of hours every night. By the way, this is Anna speaking. Paul generally sleeps soundly. I would know, since I'm awake to notice. Anyway, sleep deprivation can do wacky things and make you think & do all sorts of dumb things. Here are a few of the "interesting" ideas that I've come up with during the wee hours of the night, most of them involving some type of money-making scheme:
1. I always seem to think I can compose & arrange music. One night I thought of a really beautiful arrangement of the Christmas hymns "Il Est Ne" and "Silent Night". When I was sane again (awake) the arrangement didn't seem to work as well as it did in the middle of the night in my head.
2. I always seem to think I should take up rollerblading. Don't know why.
3. Sometimes I think of how great it would be to start some kind of band, and who I would recruit to be in my band. It hasn't come to fruition yet. Want to join? Send me an application & an audition tape.
4. I'm such an entrepreneur in the middle of the night. I can always think of great businesses to start when I'm tired. One time my sister had this idea of buying a huge box of hawaiian leis to sell at high school graduations. She ended up short $100 and stuck with a couple hundred leis. In the end she sold them on ebay. At least I've never done that!

The sleep deprivation seems to really kick into high gear during the afternoons, where I can be seen running into filing cabinets, staring at the wall or adding nonsensical posts to our blog. If I'm really tired I end up laughing a little too much or doing impersonations of unsuspecting co-workers. The gals at work enjoy the impersonations. Any great sleep deprivation stories anybody? Add one to the comments.

4 comments:

Joel & Lila said...

i know why you cant sleep. once i had to sleep in the same room as paul also. that guy can snore! get yourself some earplugs, it worked for me.

Dar, Ali, Edi, and Lukey said...

Ok I always think about starting a band, too! You could recruit me! I can play like...at least...4 guitar chords! We can make it work! Haha I love the story about the Hawaiian leis. What a hoot.

Taylor said...

It all depends on the kind of band you want to start...cause I'm not gonna wear anything that resembles a Spice Girls outfit. Meg and I would both like to audition as back up dancers (if this whole grad school thing doesn't work out, we'll be hurting for some income).

Tracy said...

Very funny Anna! It just so happens that the Lei idea was excellent- I just didn't get around to selling them. It is true, though. I really have some fabulous ideas at night. One of them involved emailing a whole marketing plan one time to the CEO of JetBlue (as if they needed my help) oh- how embarassing. But seriously- if anyone needs some ideas for a business, call me around, say 2 am.