Monday, March 3, 2008

Day 2 in San Fran

Are you ready for some stories and pictures - well then here we go! So day 2 saw us getting an early start and heading down to Fisherman's Wharf, we decided to take the tram/trolley (in my country it's a tram, here I guess it's a trolley...). We got to hang off the side - which was fun initially but those things get going pretty fast and cars don't seem to hesitate driving really close. Anywho here's some pics!




After walking around for a while we decided to head down to Pier 39 to see the Sea lions - which were rather cute and kinda reminded me of Georgie!




After that it was off to the Aquarium - which let me tell you - I LOVE aquariums (although I did have to try and not think about that one Jaws movie). We had so much fun, I particularly enjoyed the starfish - there were two stuck to the side of the tank that looked like there were dancing - I tried to, unsuccessfully, take a picture to share with you. The aquarium was so interesting and I just had a blast watching all the fishes and the like, I am a big fan.




We then went to do some shopping on the pier and ate some delightful mini donuts, one of which was snatched out of my hand by a pesky bird, but we did have 12 so one lost was probably not a bad thing. Anna was very tempted to buy some Cocker Spaniels socks but was put off by the crazy price - $15 - for a pair of socks - I ask you. Our next stop was Ghiradelli square, which needs no introduction, we had a delicious Banana Split and on the spur of the moment, I decided to order a dark choc raspberry shake, which as if I need to mention, was more than delightful.


Some more walking ensued and then it was over to In and Out burger - I admit that this does sound like a lot of food, but we
were walking a lot and on a 'cheer up and forget about everything' vacation - so I don't really care. Anna had her burger 'Animal' style, which is from the 'secret menu' and as far as I'm concerned they can continue to keep it on the secret menu as it was pretty gross. The next stop on our 'lets do everything' day was a 1 hour harbor cruise, which I had actually been on last year when I was there with my work colleague, Kori, so it was nice to do it again this time with Anna! The cruise went up to the Golden Gate bridge and then round back Alcatraz. It was a really fun cruise, if a little cold, but getting that close to the bridge was awesome, my pictures don't do it justice as it was a little rocky by the bridge and thus hard to get a level picture. We were tempted to take the trip to Alcatraz but decide in the end to just take this cruise instead - and that was enough for us! - quite a scary looking place.



After we hit dry land we decided to walk back to our hotel, trying to counteract all the food we ate, so we headed back through the Italian District (it reminded me so much of Brussels - where I served my mission - it was quite odd really) and then up through China town, which was busy and so different, it really was like being in a different country. It was interesting to see all of the different foods that they have there and also a little scary as it made us wonder what Dr Ming (the
acupuncturist we saw for a while in our 'family quest') put into the herbal remedies we took! Once we escaped and survived our China town experience it was back to the hotel for more cable TV and a good nights rest.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I am very jealous of you two right now, that hotel room looks amazing. A vacation sounds like heaven right now.

I have to say I am a little sad you didn't come visit us...it is 80 degrees here. I will forgive you this time, I guess.

We miss you two!
Love,
Meg
(and I am sure if Taylor was home right to see your blog, he would be jealous as well.)

Anna said...

Meg,

Good to hear from you! Sounds like you guys need a vacation; doesn't Taylor get a spring break soon?
We were actually thinking of possibly making a trip to visit, but since the SF trip was so last minute and I'm a little bit of an emotional wreck right now (not so fun to be around when I spontaneously burst into tears at the mention of pregnancy, babies or miscarriages). So hopefully by the time we see you next we'll be our normal happy & chipper selves.
We miss you too & hope everything's going well there. Sounds like you'll have a nice tan when next we see you.
love Anna (I wanted to email you but can't seem to find your address)