Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Day 3 in San Fran

Day 3 was equally as fun and tiring as it's predecessor and here's why... So you know how hotels have the hotel TV channel that talk about all of the fun stuff in the city, well we were watching that and there was this whole segment about how you can hire bikes and cycle from Fisherman's Wharf across the Golden Gate bridge, over to Sausalito and then catch a ferry back over to Fisherman's Wharf, so that's what we decided to do.
We set off bright and early on the tram/trolley and headed on down to get our bikes, and let me tell you it has been a significant period of time since either of us has ridden a bike (Anna rode one on her mission for about a month and I haven't ridden one since before my mission, i.e. a very long time). Additionally these were bikes with gears so to say I was a tad reticent before heading out would be an understatement, but we did just fine and had the most fun, and here's some pictures to prove it!






After cycling for a while we decided to take a stop at the Exploratorium and take a walk around, the Exploratorium is a science museum and while we didn't venture inside we did walk around and look at the cool building and grounds which house it.


After our brief stop we continued on our trek and got ready for the uphill part of the ride (which I'll be honest saw us walking and pushing the bikes for a while - but hey we were on vacation), taking us to the Golden Gate Bridge itself. This was my favorite part of the ride as we got to cycle across, and even though it was very windy and rather uphill the views were great and it was such a fun thing to do. One side of the sidewalk is just for cyclists, which was nice as we didn't have to navigate our way around the pedestrians.



Once across the bridge we then took the coastal road to Sausalito, which is this rather quaint small town where rich people live. We had some lunch and walked around for a while and then took a very relaxing ferry ride back across the bay



Once back across the bay we gladly turned in our bikes and then used our jelly like legs to walk back to the hotel for another relaxing evening of walking around the downtown area, people watching, eating and some good ole cable TV viewing!

3 comments:

Anna said...

I'd like to point out that although the uphill bike ride in San Fran about killed me, it was still easier than riding the bike on the mission for the following reasons: 1. I wasn't wearing a dress. 2. The bike from the mission formerly belonged to the mission president's daughter, so it was a bike made for a 9-year-old girl. Even at 5'3" (with heels), I still had that seat as high up as it would go!!

Joy said...

Hey, do you remember going to San Francisco for tour? That was forever ago. Good times. It's fun keeping up with everyone's blogs. I don't comment too much, but now you know I'm stalking you;)

Anna said...

Yes, I do remember tour. Does seem like years and years ago. I actually remembered going to that exploratorium science place on tour, so Paul and I stopped there again because it's pretty cool.
Do any of our other old friends have blogs? I like seeing what everyone else is up to.