Wednesday, February 4, 2009

OUCH!

So, it has been awhile since we posted anything, but I'm going to blame that on Paul since he's the one with the camera and he's supposed to be putting up pictures once in awhile!
Well, we will hopefully have lots of baby pictures to post very soon!
The latest update on the pregnancy is that I went in for an appointment last Friday (without Paul--he always seems to be traveling around for work lately doing taxes and such), and as it turns out this little baby is breech. Even the doctor was fooled, because little baby Leggett is sitting so low in my pelvis (because her legs are up by her head in the position of an olympic diver!) that she could hear the heartbeat down low and assumed she was head-down. Not the case, as was revealed by an ultrasound. The following Monday, Feb. 2nd, the doctor scheduled me for a "version", which is basically them trying to turn the baby. Sounds simple, right?
No, it's not. And it hurt really bad, too! First they gave me muscle relaxants, which just made me really shaky. Then, two doctors literally dug their fingers into my belly and pushed extremely hard in one direction to get the baby to move. They would stop from time to time to check her heart rate to make sure she was okay, and to use ultrasound to see if she'd moved at all.
In the end, they tried about 5 times before giving up. I guess she just really likes her spot!
So, the version was fruitless and now I have a really sore belly, and a C-section scheduled for the 11th. Unless she doesn't turn by then, we will be welcoming our little bundle of joy in about a weeks' time! Wish us luck!

8 comments:

Aubrey said...

I'm sorry you had to go through that for nothing. I hope she turns, but if not, I hope your c-section goes well and is without complications. You will be in our prayers. We just love you guys, and can't wait to see your sweet little girl!

The Kooky Queen--Rachel said...

AHHHHHHHHHH! Oh my gosh, that sounds SO horrible and barbaric!!! Wouldn't doctors beating your belly to a pulp give you contractions? OUCH!!! Wow, you sound so brave and calm about a C-section. Good luck and I'm hoping for ya that she turns!!!

Janene said...

That sounds painful :( I am glad that you and baby are doing well... and will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your little one!!!

Mary said...

That seriously sucks. At least your c-section is planned--mine wasn't! Just be prepared to have no stomach muscles, no energy, and no sleep. I'm so excited for you! (It does get better, though, and I'm sure your little one will be more than worth the effort!)

Callisto said...

I think I'd be really scared if I had to have a C-section. You definitely have more of the VanDenBerghe no-nonsense guts than I do. :D Best of luck with everything. I can't wait to see her!

Julie V. said...

Oh my! Since she hasn't been resting on her head and she doesn't have to squeeze through the birth canal, she will have a pretty shaped head since those tend to look rather odd at birth! The C-section babies always look so much better!

Anna said...

Yes, there are certainly some advantages to c-section. I keep checking every morning to see if she's moved, but I can still feel her big head up by my ribs. Oh well, I think at this point I'm used to the idea of a c-section, so if she suddenly turns before next Wednesday, I might actually be disappointed. I'm done with the wait!

Taryn and the boys said...

Sorry that sounds like no fun! Good Luck!! It's crazy our kids are going to be so close in age, we are having ours tomorrow.